On 26th February 2018, the TRAI released its recommendations on "Ease of Doing Business in The Broadcasting Sector".
The key recommendations made by the TRAI are:
1. Streamline the process of granting of permission/ license/ registration by removing redundant processes, re-engineering necessary processes, and making them efficient using Information & Communications Technology.
2. Online integrated portal for broadcasters, teleport operators & distributors of TV channels, to facilitate the filing, processing and tracking of applications, payments, frequency assignments, endorsements and renewals.
3. The security clearances for grant of permission/ license should be issued within 60 days.
4. The existing procedures of referring the applications to empanelled Chartered Accountants and Dept. of Revenue for verification of compliances, should be replaced by a system of self-declaration.
5. Allocation of spectrum for the commercial satellite usage should be carried out throughout the year, rather than the current procedure of intermittent opening of window.
6. The Wireless Operating License issued by WPC should be valid for the license/ permission period with a provision for annual renewal.
7. All processes, including time taken by MIB, WPC, DoS, MHA, and NOCC for issuing permissions/ licenses, should be completed within 6 months.
8. Simplify the procedure for effecting changes in the channel logo, name, language & format.
9. Online registration of LCOs and their license renewal.
10. Government should contemplate creating a centre of excellence exclusively for broadcasting services.
- Posts: 1858
- Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:08 pm
- Location: Jharkhand
- Has thanked: 240 times
- Been thanked: 564 times